October 1 is one big day. North Carolina’s distilleries, which make liquor such as moonshine, will be allowed to sell one bottle per year to each customer who visits. Because liquor sales are state controlled in North Carolina, you could previously only purchase moonshine from ABC stores or bars. (According to the North Carolina Alcoholic Beverage Control Commission, the Old North State is one of 17 control states.)
Here are a few N.C. moonshine flavors.
• Midnight Moon Blueberry (Piedmont Distillers/Madison, NC) • Midnight Moon Cherry (Piedmont Distillers/Madison, NC)
• Midnight Moon Peach (Piedmont Distillers/Madison, NC)
• Apple Pie (Howling Moon Distillery/Asheville, NC)
• Strawberry (Howling Moon Distillery/Asheville, NC)
• Legacy Appleshine (Broadslab/Benson, NC)
• Legacy Reserve – corn whiskey enhanced through charred oak (Broadslab/Benson, NC)