The biggest and best food news is that Chef Scott Crawford will be staying in Raleigh. There was much speculation after his recent departure from Standard Foods that he would be heading south to Savannah or Charleston but this fall Crawford will open Crawford & Son in the former Piebird location on Person Street. The former executive chef of Herons at The Umstead Hotel is also a four-time James Beard Foundation semifinalist for Best Chef: Southeast.
We asked him to sound off on what you’ll see and won’t see at his new restaurant.
Top 5 Things You Won’t See
1. Liquid Nitrogen
2. Tweezer Food
3. Bathroom Signs indicating Male/Female
4. The words “Farm-to-Table” on the menu
Top 5 Things You Will See
1. Art inspired by family tattoos
2. An ever-changing menu with local and regional ingredients
3. Seasonal vegetables finding their way into cocktails
4. A secret menu…shhh!
5. Chef/Owner Scott Crawford’s name on the menu