Sally Williams, Principal Interior Designer at Colorful Concepts Interior Design (colorfulconcepts.net), is known for working in both traditional and contemporary styles. She loves injecting color and vibrancy into her timeless designs and, here, she shares a few tips in transforming a client’s den into a comfortable and chic family retreat.
1. This family room design began with the selection of the whimsical large-scale Koi fish area rug by The Rug Market. The palette of blues, yellows and greens provided numerous options for the color direction of the space, and the scale allowed for incorporating fabric patterns with ease. Check out Eatman’s Carpets (eatmansinc.com) for local options.
2. I love a TV to be as a minimal focal point in a room design as possible. Hang the TV low for most comfortable viewing and incorporate furniture and décor above that height. The versatile wall unit is from the Credencia collection by Canadian company, Mobican (mobican.com). Try Ambiente Modern Furniture (ambientefurniture.com) for ideas.
3. When it comes to shelf décor, less is more. Almost anything goes, but do try to repeat an element or two (color, material, type of item) several times. One of our favorite local décor sources is the Ivy Cottage (ivycottagecollections.com). Books don’t have to be vertical, laying them flat provides layering options and breathing room between decor.
4. The ideal art is critical, especially when working to command attention away from a TV. For this project, my clients fell in love with the work or local artist Bob Rankin (bobrankin.com). We selected the large center canvas first, then commissioned the smaller complementary works on either side.
5. In front of the sofa is a pair of coffee tables by Huppe (huppe.net), another Canadian company. The different heights offer the flexibility to move them to other areas of the room as needed—also available in a number of finishes. Source locally through Beyond Blue Interiors (beyondblueinteriors.com).
6. The essential finishing touches are the accent pillows and custom floral bouquet. Picking up on the blues, greens and oranges of the area rug and artwork, the added pattern and texture of these décor elements makes a huge impact. Pillows sourced through Ivy Cottage, and custom floral by Watkins Florist (watkinsflowersofdistinction.com).