Share this Post
Taters gonna tate, but there’s nothing to be salty about during the sweetness that is National Sweet Potato Awareness Month in November—we know, National Sweet Potato Month is in February, but awareness a-peels to us. Plus, it’s harvest time for this spud-tacular native NC superfood, and what better way to lift up the official state veg than spreading knowledge. We’re rooting for you to ace it.
1. NC’s fave orange root vegetable belongs in which plant family?
c. Morning glory
2. The North Carolina SweetPotato Commission (which, yes, spells sweetpotatoes as one word!) is “your one-stop source for all things sweetpotato.” In what year was the commission founded?
3. Eastern NC vinegar-based sauce or Lexington-style sauce? Who cares. The real question is: Which classic Carolinian sauce uses sweet potatoes as its core ingredient?
a. Cackalacky Spice Sauce
b. Texas Pete
c. Bone Suckin’ Sauce
d. Sticky Fingers
4. Fullsteam Brewery in Durham—and soon to be at Boxyard RTP—has a seasonal sweet potato lager named after which historical figure?
a. Theodore Roosevelt
b. George Washington Carver
c. Thomas Edison
d. Woodrow Wilson
5. Found in a variety of shapes, sizes and colors, sweet potatoes are the poster child of veg inclusivity. What color sweet potato, other than the classic orange offering, might you find this fall?
d. All of the above
6 Which local Mexican restaurant features a sensational seasonal sweet potato enchilada dish on its menu? Hint: Check out our September 25 Best Dishes list!
a. Gonza Tacos y Tequila
b. La Santa
c. Dos Taquitos
d. Cantina 18
7. In the U.S., the vast majority of grape production occurs in California (hey, California raisins!), while Florida is one of the largest producers of oranges. Which state is the No. 1 producer of sweet potatoes?
a. North Carolina
8. Which Raleigh restaurant offers a tasty twist on avocado toast featuring an open-faced housemade sweet potato biscuit piled high with grilled tomato, sliced avocado and fried eggs?
a. A Place at the Table
b. Relish Craft Kitchen & Bourbon Bar
c. Tupelo Honey Cafe
d. Plates Neighborhood Kitchen
9. Which fast-casual eatery’s Incredibowl is made all the more incredible with roasted sweet potatoes?
a. Happy + Hale
c. Raleigh Raw
d. Kale Me Crazy
ANSWERS: 1. C; 2. C; 3. A; 4. B; 5. D; 6. D; 7. A; 8. B; 9. A
Share this Post